We are delighted to publish the latest in our set of assessments for each year group, which are all available free of charge, even if you are not a subscriber. The latest Year 5 Assessment is based around the new primary curriculum and is a very comprehensive test of the new targets.
There is no need to complete the assessment in one go – we would suggest that several shorter periods of time would be better. We would also recommend talking to your child about how they are answering the questions as a great deal can be learnt about children’s mathematical thinking by doing this.
Below is a summary of the maths included in the assessment:
1. using large numbers, up to at least 1 000 000
2. interpreting negative numbers
3. rounding numbers to the nearest 10 000 or 100 000
4. reading Roman numerals
5. adding whole numbers with more than 4 digits
6. subtracting numbers with more than 4 digits
7. solving addition and subtraction multi-step problems
8. understanding factors, square numbers and prime numbers
9. multiplying numbers up to 4 digits by a 1-digit or 2-digt number
10. using the formal written method of short division
11. adding fractions with denominators that are multiples of the same number
12. multiplying fractions by whole numbers
13. writing percentages as decimal numbers and fractions
14. solving problems using percentages and decimal equivalents
15. converting between different units of metric measure
16. finding the perimeter of shapes
17. identifying properties of 3-D shapes
18. calculating and drawing angles in degrees
19. understanding translations of shapes
20. reading and interpreting line graphs
Plenty to be going on with. If your child struggles with any of these aspects of maths there is a host of material available to help, within the urbrainy year 5 worksheets.